Kidz Docs families -
We are currently in the midst of another wave of COVID infections, due to the omicron variant. Nationwide, healthcare facilities, including our office, are experiencing yet another increase in the number of phone calls, appointment requests, and testing requests. Nationwide, we are preparing for a shortage in COVID tests due to the large increase in demand.
Due to the overwhelming number of sick patients who need to be seen, we will temporarily be referring patients 5yrs and above who need testing due to COVID exposures to testing sites in the community. Our triage nurses are available to advise on the recommended testing dates base on the patient’s vaccination status. This will allow us to see the acutely ill patients of all ages who are in need of our care.
During the pandemic, we have utilized 5 different brands/types of COVID tests, which take anywhere between 1 hour and 5 days for results. A large part of our job is buying different tests from different sources based on weekly/monthly allocations and availability. The test we use on any given day is based on many factors: the patient’s presentation, the testing supplies we have available, the speed of the devices we use to run rapid tests, and the volume of tests we are running. Currently, our COVID test results are taking 1-4 days return.
In healthcare, we are used to working on holiday weeks. Most of us take only 1-2 days off to spend some time with our own families. Please know we have been working long hours to accommodate as many patients as possible, and process as many tests as quickly as possible. We know everyone is under a lot of stress currently, but we ask that you be courteous and respectful to our staff; families that are not will be dismissed.
What can you do to help help?
- Please consider asking non-urgent questions by patient portal message, as opposed to calling on the phone.
- If you do not have a test result after 48hrs, please check for lab results on the patient portal before calling our office.
- If your child is 5yrs and above, please have them vaccinated. Limited appointments are available by phone at our office; many community sites are hosting vaccine clinics as well.
- If you or your child is 12yrs and above, please get your booster if it has been 5-6mos since your 2nd shot. Limited appointments are available for patients at our office; many community sites are hosting vaccine clinics as well.
- Schedule a COVID test in the community after travel or family gatherings, before heading back to school. If your school offers surveillance testing, please consider signing up.
- Practice the same preventative measures to the extent possible that we have been using for almost 2yrs now. Hold gatherings outdoors, use masks indoors, and get vaccinated if eligible.
To our patients who have sent Christmas cards or a meal for our staff, or have taken the time to say a simple thank you – we are so grateful. On these hard days, your kindness helps us keep going. We have big hearts for this community, and we are grateful that you trust us to care for your children.
Hang in there.
Dr. Emily Remus & The Kidz Docs Team
Our office has limited appointments available for the COVID vaccines and boosters for established patients only. Please call for availability.
Please use the following resources to located a COVID vaccine:
We strongly recommend that our eligible patients receive the first vaccine available to them, even if it is not at our office. If your child is a patient of ours and has already completed the COVID-19 vaccine series at another location (pharmacy, public health center, etc), please send us a copy of their vaccine card at [email protected] This is an important part of their medical chart, and we use it to make decisions on exposure and quarantine.
Please sign and bring the vaccine consent form to your child's appointment. COVID-19 page.
The current public health emergency is extremely fluid, and we continue to adjust our schedule and procedures to align with the current guidelines. Thank you all for your flexibility as we work to keep our staff and patients safe and healthy! As this situation continues to unfold, we plan to be here for you through it all.
Email Address: Please use [email protected] if you need to email us any forms for completion.
Patient Portal: If you have submitted an email address to The Kidz Docs, you will now have access to our online patient portal. You can access the portal from our website as well. The portal provides a convenient way to:
- Pay your bill online
- Email a provider with non-urgent questions or concerns
- Request prescription refills
- Access and print vaccine records
- Update your address and phone number
- Request checkup appointments (allow 24-48 hours for a response)
You can also download the free Healow app on any smartphone to do the same tasks listed above. Please contact our front desk if you have any difficulties accessing the patient portal.
We invite you to take a few moments to browse our website and familiarize yourself with our practice. We hope that it will serve as a valuable resource for you. You'll find all of the helpful information you need about our practice including sport physical, child immunizations, well child care exams, our doctor and nurse practitioner bios, service details, directions to our office, and new patient forms.
The Kidz Docs looks forward to walking alongside you as you guide your child along a path of optimal health and wellness.